- Social Responsibility Activities
SK telecom carries out diverse social responsibility activities by leveraging its ICT technologies. Our key social responsibility programs include various mobile services for the public, support for revitalization of Korean traditional markets, and assistance for baby boomers to start up their own businesses.
SK telecom will continue to fulfill its social responsibilities by sharing its ICT technologies with the community, in order to resolve diverse social issues, create new opportunities and values for the society, and to bring more happiness to the community members.
SK telecom has offered ICT-based assistance for Korean traditional markets to reinforce their fundamental competitiveness.
In the traditional market revitalization project for Junggok Jeil Market located in Gwangjin-gu, Seoul (Sep.2012 ~ now), SK telecom offered innovative ICT solutions such as Myshop/Beep to help the merchants better manage their businesses, and consulting on systematic customer management to help them build up marketing competitiveness.
Our marketing strategies based on the ICT solutions, such as ‘11st’, Smart Wallet, and Smart Leaflet, contributed to the increase of customers and sales in the traditional market. In the project for Shingi market located in Nam-gu, Incheon City (May 2013 ~ now), we aim to help the merchants enhance their business performance through our ICT-enabled customer membership program, attract more customers through marketing activities in connection with SK Wyverns, create a new culture through establishment of our ICT experience center, and secure regular customers as well.
SK telecom has launched the ‘BRAVO! Restart’ program to vitalize the ICT-based start-up ecosystem and create new values and jobs for the baby boom generation. To this end, we combine the baby boomers’ expertise in their own field with SK telecom’s ICT capabilities. Based on this start-up program, SK telecom aims to actively develop start-ups among the baby boomers and systematically provide our professional ICT capabilities for the entire start-up process.
SK telecom established ‘Happy ICT Foundation’ in 2011 and ‘Happy Eco Phone Foundation’ in 2013 and gave them constant support to offer social services and jobs for the underprivileged. As a social enterprise specialized in ICT services, ‘Happy ICT Foundation’ established ‘Mobile-based Cleaning Management System (2012)’ and ‘Smart Local Food Business Supporting System (2013)’, which were selected as pilot projects for smart work service model by the government. The ‘Happy ICT Foundation’ contributes to increasing the work efficiency and competitiveness of diverse people including the underprivileged in need of ICT services.
As a social enterprise conducting evaluation and commercialization of used mobile phones, ‘Happy Eco Phone Foundation’ aims to create shared values for the society by protecting the environment through recycling of used mobile phones and creating decent and stable jobs for the underprivileged.
In an effort to carry out unique ICT-based social contribution programs, SK telecom operates platforms that enable NGO personnel and users to easily communicate with each other and encourage others to participate in donation or volunteering activities. As our representative social contribution platforms, the donation platform ‘GiveU’ (established in 2012) and mobile volunteering platform ‘WithU’ (established in 2013) can be easily accessed by users, regardless of their mobile network operator. In 2011, we developed ‘Happy Audio Library’, a smartphone app with audio contents for the visually impaired. People with visual impairments can easily access and enjoy the contents, since we reflected their opinions in the app development process.
Our diverse social contribution platforms also include Find Missing Children and Smart Blood Donation.
SK telecom will continue to take the lead in creating value for the society, through social contribution activities based on its ICT capabilities.
SK telecom has launched the ‘BRAVO! Restart’ program to vitalize the ICT-based start-up ecosystem and create new values and jobs for the baby boom generation.
To this end, we combine the baby boomers’ expertise in their own field with SK telecom’s ICT capabilities. Based on this start-up program, SK telecom aims to actively develop start-ups among the baby boomers and systematically provide our professional ICT capabilities for the entire start-up process.
Laying the Foundation for Social Contribution: Support for IT and Social Welfare Businesses [~ Early 2000s]
Free surgery for children with facial deformities in Vietnam (1996~2012, operated by SK SUPEX Council at present)
- Support free surgery for children with facial deformities including cleft palates in Vietnam.
- On tribute to improving the Vietnamese medical institutions’ capabilities, through donation of surgical equipments and transfer of Korean surgical technologies and know-how.
SK telecom IT Challenge Contest for teenagers with disabilities (1999~present)
- Korea’s representative information search competition among students with disabilities
Contribute to bridging digital divide for teenagers with disabilities, encouraging them to be more involved in the society and improving the public’s perception on people with disabilities.
SK telecom Cup National Wheelchair Basketball Tournament (2002~present)
- A wheelchair basketball game where physically challenged teams and non-physically challenged teams play and communicate with each other through basketball
Volunteering for Social Activities:
Expansion of Volunteering Activities & Aspiration to Participate in and Resolve Social Issues [during the Mid 2000s]
SK telecom Volunteer Group
- Conduct volunteering activities based on the professional capabilities of SK telecom’s employees, in order to resolve community issues and bring higher value to the society.
Sunny, the volunteer group composed of college students
(2003~2012, operated by SK SUPEX Council at present)
- The largest volunteer group of college students in Korea that carries out diverse volunteering activities and education, aimed at building a thriving community through development of talents.
SK Happy Meal Boxes (2006~2010, operated by SK Happiness Foundation at present)
- Volunteering service that offers free meal boxes to disadvantaged individuals
Create jobs in the community by hiring unemployed people to make and deliver the ‘SK Happy Meal Boxes’.
SK Happy School (2007~2010, operated by SK Happiness Foundation at present)
- A program offering support for teenagers, who are talented in cooking, music, automobile, etc.
but cannot receive relevant education due to financial difficulties Provide talented students of low-income families with opportunities and support to make their dreams come true.
Using Corporate Resources and Capabilities for Social Contribution:
Higher Value for the Society through Sharing of Technology Infrastructure with the Society [in the late 2000s]
Mobile Social Contributions (2004~present)
- Plan/develop/operate mobile social contribution platforms, such as donation platform ‘GiveU’, mobile volunteering platform ‘WithU’, smartphone app with audio contents for the visually impaired ‘Happy Audio Library’, ‘Find Missing Children’, and ‘Smart Blood Donation’.
Education about how to use mobile phones (2007~ present)
- Offer education to the underprivileged including the elderly, North Korean refugees and multicultural families about how to use mobile phones, through joint efforts between SK telecom’s employees and ‘Sunny’ members.
Promoting CSV(Creating Shared Value):
Innovation of Social Value through Utilization of Company-Wide Capabilities [Present]
Traditional Market Revitalization Projects based on ICT (2012~Present)
- Reinforce the fundamental competitiveness of traditional markets, such as Junggok Jeil Market located in Seoul and Shinggi Market in Incheon, by leveraging SK telecom’s ICT/marketing solutions.
‘BRAVO! Restart’, the ICT-based start-up program for baby boomers (2013~present)
- Provide the baby boom generation with practical and comprehensive support for the entire start-up process, aimed at vitalizing the ICT-based, high value-added start-ups.
Establishment and Operation of Social Enterprises based on SK telecom’s Corporate Capabilities (2011~ Present)
- Established and operated social enterprises, such as ‘Happy ICT Foundation’ (established in 2011) and ‘Happy Eco Phone Foundation’ (established in 2013).
Through partnerships with NGOs representing diverse areas, SK telecom strives to contribute to resolving social issues and bring higher value to the society.
|Korea Differently Abled Federation||Hosted the Disabled Youth IT Challenge|
|Korea Blind Union||Operated audio book application “Happy Library“, an app for the visually impaired|
|KJChoi Foundation||Scholarships for college/univ. students from low-income families|
|SK Happiness||Provided meals (Happy Dosirak) for malnourished children during school vacations, invigorate the social company ecosystem and foster social entrepreneurs|
|SESNET||Operation of a pro bono volunteer team and anagement system|
|Busrugy : Leftover Love Sharing Community||Support for English learning at regional children’s centers (Challenge! English Up!)|
|Korea Association of Senior Welfare Centers||Guide senior citizens on how to use a mobile phone|
|Motion and Sound 4 All||Cultural art education for developmentally disabled youth|
|Korea Handball Federation||Support the reinforcement of trainer and athlete competency and provided training for the Olympic Games|
|UN Global Compact||UNGC LEAD annual membership fee payment and assistance in the Global CSR Conference|
|Korea Institute of Startup & Entrepreneurship Development||Promoting SK youth businesses|
|Korea Federation of Science and Technology Societies||Science and technology silvertown construction business|
|Korea Fencing Federation||Support the reinforcement of trainer and athlete competency and provided training for the Olympic Games|
|Smile Microcredit Bank||Support the business operation of the SK Smile Microcredit Bank|
|Korean e-Sports Association||Support the Korean e-Sports Association|
|International e-Sports Federation||Support the International e-Sports Federation|
|Barun ICT Research Center||Support research related to the building of a healthy ICT culture|
* Subsidiaries and affiliated companies are not included in this list of the main beneficiaries of SK Telecom.